WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE DO
Art City in St. James Town is a registered Canadian charity that operates under the brands “Art City”, “Art City Toronto” and “Art City Kids”. We provide free arts education, arts programming, community programming and leadership development to children and youth in St. James Town.
Art City collects and processes personal information through the following means:
- Our website volunteer and job application form, if you apply for a job or volunteer role through the website.
- Our contact form, if you contact us through the website.
WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU?
Personal information means any information about an individual from which that person can be identified. It does not include personal information where all references to the identity of the relevant individual have been removed (anonymous personal information).
We may collect, use, store and transfer different kinds of personal information about you which we have grouped together as follows:
- Identity Personal information includes:
- first name, last name,
- title, company you work for and, in the case of individuals applying for a volunteer or job position, information contained in your resume and application.
- Contact Personal information includes address, email address and telephone numbers.
- Technical Personal information includes internet protocol (IP) address, your login personal information, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform, and other technology on the devices you use to access this website.
- Usage Personal information includes information about how you use our website and our Services.
- Marketing and Communications Personal information includes your preferences in receiving marketing from us and our third parties and your communication preferences.
We do not collect any Special Categories of Personal information about you (this includes details about your race or ethnicity, religious or philosophical beliefs, sex life, sexual orientation, political opinions, trade union membership, information about your health, and genetic and biometric information), unless you self-disclose membership in an equity-seeking group in a job application. Nor do we collect any information about criminal convictions and offences.
This website is not intended for children under the age of 18 and we do not knowingly collect personal information relating to children, except for First Name, Last Name, Age when a parent registers their child to attend one of our programs, or the parent authorizes their child to apply for a Junior Volunteer position. This information is retained only for the purposes of processing a volunteer application or program enrolment while your child is actively registered or volunteering in a program.
HOW IS YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION COLLECTED?
We use different methods to collect personal information from and about you including through:
- Direct interactions. You may give us your Identity, Contact information by filling in forms or by corresponding with us by post, phone, email or otherwise. This includes personal information you provide when you:
- Sign-up for programming;
- Subscribe to our newsletter or publications or to contact us or provide feedback;
- Request marketing to be sent to you; or
- Give us feedback or contact us.
- Automated technologies or interactions. As you interact with our website, we will automatically collect Technical Personal information about your equipment, browsing actions and patterns. We collect this personal information by using cookies, pixels, server logs and other similar technologies. We may also receive Technical Personal information about you if you visit other websites employing our cookies.
- Third parties or publicly available sources. We will receive personal information about you from various third parties as set out below:
- Technical Personal information from:
- analytics providers such as Google Analytics and other similar technologies;
- digital marketing service platforms such as MailChimp and other similar technologies;
- advertising networks such as Google Adwords and other similar technologies.
- We use unique tracking codes in our marketing and donor campaign email and pixels on our website to allow us to share your technical information with such providers to track use of our site (including the performance of our ads) and to retarget ads.
- Technical Personal information from:
WHY DO WE COLLECT AND USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We will only use your personal information when the law allows us to. Most commonly, we will use your personal information in the following circumstances:
- Where needed to perform the service you are requesting.
- Where we need to comply with a legal obligation.
Note that we may process your Personal information for more than one lawful basis as listed above depending on the specific purpose for which we are using your personal information.
We strive to provide you with choices regarding certain personal information uses, particularly around marketing and advertising.
We may use your Identity, Contact, Technical, Usage and Profile Personal information to form a view on what we think you may want or need, or what may be of interest to you. This is how we decide which Services may be relevant for you.
Where Canada’s Antispam Legislation (CASL) applies to Art City’s communications with users, donors or volunteers, Art City is committed to complying with CASL and, in particular, the provisions setting out the requirements for sending commercial electronic messages.
You will receive marketing communications from us if you have requested information from us or made a donation to us through Canada Helps or other means and you have not opted out of receiving that marketing.
We will get your express opt-in consent before we share your personal information with any third party for marketing purposes.
You can ask us to stop sending you marketing messages at any time by following the opt-out links on any marketing message sent to you or by contacting us at any time.
Where you opt out of receiving these marketing messages, we may continue to use your personal information in order to provide you with the services you have requested from us.
Where our use of your personal information requires your consent, you can provide such consent:
- at the time we collect your personal information following the instructions provided; or
TO WHOM DO WE DISCLOSE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We share your information within our organization for the sole purposes of responding to your contact request, processing your volunteer or job application, and/or registering you or your child for our program.
We require all third parties to respect the security of your personal information and to treat it in accordance with the law. We do not allow our third-party service providers to use your personal information for their own purposes.
HOW DO WE PROTECT THE CONFIDENTIALITY AND SECURITY OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We are committed to keeping the personal information provided to us secure and we will take reasonable precautions to protect personal information from loss, misuse or alteration.
All of our members, employees, consultants and volunteers who have access to, and are associated with, the processing of personal information, are obliged to respect the confidentiality of the personal information of all visitors to the Site and all users of our Services.
HOW LONG WILL WE RETAIN YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We will only retain your Personal information for as long as reasonably necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, regulatory, tax, accounting or reporting requirements. We may retain your Personal information for a longer period in the event of a complaint or if we reasonably believe there is a prospect of litigation in respect to our relationship with you.
In some circumstances we will anonymise your Personal information (so that it can no longer be associated with you) for research or statistical purposes, in which case we may use this information indefinitely without further notice to you.
YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS
Subject to certain exemptions, you have the following rights in relation to the Personal information we hold about you:
Your right of access
If you ask us, we’ll confirm whether we’re processing your Personal information and, subject to any applicable exemptions, provide you with a copy of that Personal information within the timescales provided for by law. We try to respond to all legitimate requests within a reasonable amount of time. If you require additional copies, we may need to charge a reasonable fee.
Your right to rectification
If the Personal information we hold about you is inaccurate or incomplete, you’re entitled to have it rectified, and you can do so by notifying us.
Your right to erasure
You can ask us to delete or remove your Personal information in some circumstances such as where we no longer need it or if you withdraw your consent (where applicable because that was the legal basis on which we were processing your Personal information).
Your right to object
You can ask us to stop processing your Personal information, and we will do so, if we are:
- relying on our own or someone else’s legitimate interests to process your Personal information, except if we can demonstrate compelling legal grounds for the processing; or
- processing your Personal information for direct marketing.
- Your rights in relation to automated decision-making and profiling
You have the right not to be subject to a decision when it’s based on automatic processing, including profiling, if it produces a legal effect or similarly significantly affects you, unless such profiling is necessary for entering into, or the performance of, a contract between you and us.
Your right to withdraw consent
If we rely on your consent (or explicit consent) as our legal basis for processing your Personal information, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time. However, this will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before you withdraw your consent. If you withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide certain products or services to you. We will advise you if this is the case at the time you withdraw your consent.
Your right to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority
If you have a concern about any aspect of Art City’s privacy practices, including the way we’ve handled your Personal information, you can report it to the relevant supervisory authority.
Art City in St James Town (Att. Secretary, Board of Directors)
555 Sherbourne St
Telephone number: 647-512-1014
You have the right to make a complaint at any time to the relevant supervisory authority for personal information protection issues. In Canada, you can contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada (“OPC”), see: https://www.priv.gc.ca/en/contact-the-opc/.
Residents of Quebec may contact the Commission d’accès à l’information du Québec, see: https://www.cai.gouv.qc.ca/a-propos/nous-joindre/.
We would, however, appreciate the chance to address your concerns before you approach the supervisory authority so please contact us in the first instance.
Links to Other Websites